Monday, February 8, 2010

Etsy Update


If you haven't stopped by the Etsy shop in awhile, be sure to pop in and take a peek! We have several new belt and harness styles, including two that I designed; the Aria and the Clara. The Clara (left) is more of a jewelry piece than a belt; most of the weight of the piece is carried by the neck strap, leaving the rest of it draping softly around the ribs.


The Aria (right) is one I originally envisioned in the gunmetal gray finish shown here, but the leather took awhile to find, so the original prototype was made in black. When worn over a sweetheart neckline, as shown here on the corset, this harness creates a heart shape -- just in time for Valentine's Day! I like this piece because the straps are delicate, and the crystal accents at the shoulder make it somewhat dressy.


Make no mistake about it, Mark is the real leatherworker between the two of us. When I design leather pieces for the shop, it generally entails me sketching and cutting out the template, cutting the leather pieces, and then handing them to Mark for him to fit out with the hardware and rivets. Setting rivets, grommets, and the like requires experience and skill in order for them to sit perfectly level with no dents in the middle. I'm still not confident enough in my ability to work with the hardware for any of our pieces, but the designing part is fun, and since the leather items make up most of our Etsy sales (I'm mostly selling my hats through Dark Garden now), it's nice to have a way to contribute to that.


We're currently looking into some different options for migrating the shop to our own website, which will hopefully offer us better functionality with our custom orders and make things a little less confusing for the customers. It's exciting to see how far we've come in less than a year!



P.S. I'll have a regular outfit post for you a little later today.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home