Friday, May 14, 2010

The Young Ones



This turned into a jeans sort of week for me, when these black beauties arrived in the mail from Gilt. I'd been on the lookout for straight leg, black jeans for some time, and these seemed to meet all my requirements. They are a deep, luscious black and the fit is just perfect. My only concern is that once I wash them they're going to lose their inky blackness and I won't like them as much. I guess my solution is just never to wash them.

That reminds me of an old episode of The Young Ones, which I used to watch in syndication on MTV in the mid-80's; it was my favorite show. In one episode, the boys (4 students who live in a squalid North London flat and attend Scumbag College) decide it's finally time to go to the launderette, but when they get there the laundry is so filthy that the machine spits it back out again. They finally wrestle the clothes into the machine, only to discover it requires money to wash the clothes. Sitting dejectedly back home, they discuss the merits of grimy clothing:

VYVYAN: My knickers are so old, it's only the stubborn understains that are holding them together!
RICK: Yeah, right on! One thing's for sure -- when Lenin led the revolution in Russia, no way did he do it with a spotless bott!
VYVYAN: YEAH! I LOVE MY BOTTOM SPOTTY!
NEIL: Yeah...Yeah...Let's never wash our clothes again!
MIKE: What do you mean, "again"?



Ah, I loved that show. But if I never wash my new black jeans, will I end up with a spotty bott?

Shirt: thrifted
Tank: All Saints
Blazer: thrifted
Jeans: Diesel
Boots: Bronx

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home