Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Resistance is Futile

A couple of weekends ago Mark and I shot some new photos for our Etsy listings and to use for advertising. We couldn't afford a real model, so we just used me. I'd love to tell you that the shoot was really fun and we had a blast, but the fact is that it was a mega ton of work and we were both exhausted by the end. And all we had was one basic "set," which was really just a white sheet background set up in Mark's hallway. I can't imagine the shoots that people do for magazine spreads; those must take an army of people all day to pull off.

I softened the wrinkled fabric background using my limited Photoshop skills, and despite my lack of tech savvy I think they turned out pretty well. Granted, it took me a good 3 hours just to edit a handful of photos, but still.

These photos feature a few new items in the shop. The Annie 19-buckle spats are newly listed, and boy are these suckers badass to wear. To me they feel very Edward Scissorhands, an aesthetic that I truly adore. The small black homburg hat I'm wearing above is a new style that I haven't even listed yet because I'm still perfecting the design. The prototype is just trimmed with a basic black grosgrain ribbon, and I made it for Mark (though I'm planning on stealing it every now and then because I think it looks pretty cute on me too).

In the photo on the left I'm wearing one of my new bridal hat designs, which I'm planning on offering via the shop and possibly also through Dark Garden. These hats will be mostly custom-made but will follow the same basic designs. I'm expecting a few new hat blocks any day now, so there will be more styles coming for these Edwardian-styled mini hats. I can make these in either straw or felt in pretty much any color you can think of, and there will be fancier, more bride-y hats as well as ones that would be suitable for bridesmaids or guests.

Since we're on the topic of the shop, I should also point you to a few places that our designs have appeared recently. The first is in a steampunk boudoir photoshoot by Kamilla Harris; scroll down a few photos and you'll see the beautiful Lucille underbust harness in action. And check out gorgeous blogger Style of a Fashionista rocking a Selena underbust harness. Finally, Mark and I loaned a couple of pieces to the makers of indie web movie Perpetual Steam Punk for use in one of the episodes. Next we're planning world domination, with mandatory hats and leatherwear for everyone. Resistance is futile!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home